Applicant FAQs

Applicant FAQs

Expand allClose all

Where should I mail my application and fees?

Mail your application and fees to:

Department of Health
Post office Box 6330
Tallahassee, FL 32314-6330

How can I get information on initial license requirements?

By visiting your board’s licensing page. Select your profession then click on Requirements.

Where should I call to check the status of my application?

The division’s call center at (850) 488-0595. We are open from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Eastern Standard Time. We’re closed on weekends and state holidays. You may email us at

After you receive my application, how long will it be before I get a response?

We will send you notification about the status of your application within 30 days after we receive it.

What criminal offenses may prevent me from obtaining a medical license?

You are required to report all criminal offenses to the Board. Each application will be evaluated on an individual basis. For more information on offenses that may prevent you from obtaining a medical license, see the links below:

What type of documentation do I need to submit in support of my application if I have a prior criminal record or licensure discipline?

  • If you have a criminal record, you must submit certified official court documents related to your criminal record, showing the date(s) and circumstance(s) surrounding your arrest(s)/conviction(s), sections of the law violated, and disposition of the case(s). Documents would normally consist of a complaint or indictment, a judgment, a docket sheet, or other documents showing disposition of your case. Some courts refer to these documents as an order of probation. A court clerk must certify these court documents before we can accept them.
  • If you have received discipline against any license that you have held, you must submit certified copies of the documents related to the disciplinary action taken. The documents must come from the agency that took the disciplinary action and must be certified by that agency.
  • You must submit a detailed description of circumstances surrounding your criminal record or disciplinary action.

Do I have to report charges if I completed a period of probation and the charges were dismissed or closed?

Yes. Offenses must be reported to the board even if you received a suspended imposition of sentence and the record is now considered closed.

Can a person obtain a license if they have a misdemeanor or felony crime on their record?

Each application is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. The board considers the nature, severity, and recency of offenses, as well as rehabilitation and other factors. The board cannot make a determination for approval or denial of licensure without evaluating the entire application and supporting documentation.

What crimes or license discipline must be reported on the application?

All convictions, guilty pleas, and nolo contendere pleas must be reported, except for minor traffic violations not related to the use of drugs or alcohol. This includes misdemeanors, felonies, “driving while intoxicated (DWI)” and “driving under the influence (DUI).”

Crimes must be reported even if they are a suspended imposition of sentence. All prior disciplinary action against any other professional licenses must be reported, whether it occurred in Florida or another state or territory.

Can I be granted an extension on an application after it has expired?

Section 456.013(1)(a), Florida Statutes does not allow for an extension. An incomplete application is only valid for one year.

How long will it take for my license to be issued?

You can download a PDF copy of your license within two business days. The license can be retrieved in the License Documents menu of your MQA Online Services Portal Account. To learn more, please visit the electronic licensing webpage at

Do I have to send of the supporting documents for my application to the Board at the same time?

We encourage you to send as much information as possible to help expedite the licensure process.

Where should I send the supporting documents for my application?

Please mail all required supporting documents directly to the Board Office. For your Board’s mailing address, please visit the Contact page.

What is Unlicensed Activity?

Providing speech-language pathology or audiology services in Florida without an active, provisional license or assistant certification. Some exemptions do apply – see 468.1115 F.S.

What happens if my application for an active license has not been approved prior to the expiration date of my provisional license?

You must immediately cease to provide speech-language pathology or audiology services and contact the Board office for further instructions.

After I have completed my nine (9) months of professional experience, do I wait until I receive my CCC’s from ASHA before I apply for my active license?

NO! You need to immediately submit a completed application for active licensure, along with the SPA-2B and SPA-2C evaluation forms verifying completion of nine (9) months of CFY. If you have not previously requested that an official report of your national examination scores be sent to the Board office, you must request such from ETS.

I am graduating soon. When should I apply for my provisional license?

At least thirty (30) days prior to graduation you should submit your application. Have your university send an official transcript reflecting the master’s degree to the Board office. If the transcript does not reflect the master’s degree, the Certification of Conferral of Master’s Degree (pdf) must accompany the transcript.

The Board has certified eligibility for certification/licensure. When can I initiate practice?

When you receive the letter with your license/certification number authorizing practice.

Can I check the status of my application online?

If this feature is currently available for your profession, you may check the status of your application in real time via our Online Services. You will need your User ID and password in order to log in. If you lose your User ID and password, you can log in alternatively using the ‘Get Login Help?‘ link located below the login fields.